Main Street United Methodist Church
Saturday, May 18, 2013
Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.
In 1784, the people of the Bedford area (including Bedford County, parts of adjoining counties, and the city of Lynchburg) organized a circuit of Methodist churches. Bishop Francis Asbury spoke to the "Society at Liberty," as it was known in 1788.
The "Society at Liberty" prospered and grew. In 1838, the first Methodist church building in Bedford was built on West Main Street. By 1883 this building could not accommodate the large congregation so, in 1884, the current lot on East Main Street was bought and a new building erected. Additions to this building were made in 1909 and 1921.
On January 30, 1966 our current educational wing was dedicated, providing Sunday School rooms, a large fellowship hall, kitchen, offices, library, preschool accommodations, parlor, and more adequate bathroom facilities. In 1990, a deteriorating sanctuary necessitated the construction of a new Sanctuary, which was dedicated July 12, 1992.